Sunday, May 1, 2011

Goodbyes

I hate goodbyes. Always have.

We got the call tonight. We're going to say our final goodbyes. He is now off all meds and no longer eating. I think the general consensus is sometime in the next 24 hours he will be with Jesus.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I know I want to go and tell him how much I love him and how much he has meant to me. I can't stop the tears. I'm going to try and pull myself together before we leave here in just a little bit to go.

Bruce Gettys was/is a good man. He has left an imprint of love, strength, courage, and faith that will go on in this family for generations. Saying goodbye will not be easy for any of us. But I know we all take comfort in two things:

1. He will no longer be in pain
and
2. We WILL see him again one day. It is such a comfort to know this.

I smiled to myself a little bit ago thinking "wow. He gets to see Jesus. I'm so jealous".


My kids loved their "Great Dad". My husband looked up to his Grandfather and respected him, loved him; as do I.

This is not the first time I have lost someone I love, but it will be a first for many on my husband's side of the family. Please keep us all in your prayers. Especially his wife and children.

I hate goodbyes, but at least this one is temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment