Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful?

I read a friends status today on Facebook. She said she was thankful for what she had every day of the year. And you know what? She really is. She is that kind of person. She is amazing.

I was sadden to realize that I am not the same way. Please don't get me wrong. Most days I look at my husband and kids and realize how every blessed I am. Those thoughts give way to extended family, my friends, the fact I have a roof over my head and there is food to eat, and wonderful vehicle to shopping for said food. I think about how healthy my middle girl (aka: superstar) has been this year. Yes, I am one extremely blessed woman indeed.

However, there are days when life gets the better of me. There are days when I spend more time concerned about my latest problem, rather than looking at all the wonderful things in my life. There a days I do take it all for granted. I'm human.

Do I feel like we need one day to be thankful? Oh heck no! But unfortunately, most of us aren't as amazing as my friend (and she is amazing!). Sometimes we take all the goodness in our lives for granted. Sometimes we get overwhelmed by our troubles. And it is nice, to me anyway, that there is a day to help give you perspective again. A day where you can STOP worrying about whatever has been taxing you. A day to shift your thinking where it should be all year round, to be grateful for what you have.

I am thankful for the health of my kids and loved ones. I'm thankful that I have heat in my home. I'm thankful for the small amount of money we have in the bank. I'm thankful my husband is employed. I may not always appreciate his job, but I am thankful.

But I'm also thankful for Thanksgiving. A time to reflect. A time to be with loved ones and friends. A time to get our minds and hearts back to where they should be, for those of us who sometimes let life get us down.

And just in time for the holidays...Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanza (still a bit confused on this one).

I love this time of year. Yes, I have much to be Thankful for. Most of us do.

No comments:

Post a Comment