Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A prayer of thanks....

Tonight, our family watched the movie "Courageous". 

Today was  hard day for my husband and I.  We argued.  We tend to do this when we don't connect well during the week.  This past week has been hard with all of us being sick.  Connecting on ANY level was hard.  And today, we've argued a lot.  Some due to his actions, some due to mine.

But after this movie, I can say (WITHOUT DOUBT), that I am thankful for husband and for the father he is.  He is NOT perfect.  But that's okay.  He may work long hours and not be here as much as he, or the rest of us, would like, but he does try to make the most of his time here.

Our kids KNOW he loves them.  He doesn't just discipline them.  He plays with them.  He talks with them.  He spends time getting to know who each of them is, in his own way.  And I am so thankful for that.  Too many children have fathers who are missing.  Too many children have daddies who are physically there, but take no interest in them.  Too many children are abused by their fathers. 

My children know a father who LOVES them.  Who takes interest in THEM, what their interests are, and what they like, and who they are becoming as young women.  And it's because they know this, and they know their father loves them; that are so quick to forgive him if he ever makes a mistake.

Being a parent is hard.  It's not easy.  And sometimes we make mistakes.  We second guess ourselves.  But if we know we love our kids, and they know we love them, then we must doing something right.  Right? 

Thank you, Lord, for my husband.  Thank you for the father he is.  He may not be all he wishes to be.  He may not be here as much as we want him to be, but he loves us all.  He tries.  He makes the most of his time with us.  Thank you for that.  Thank you for such a good man.  Thank you for a man who wants the best for his children, who works hard for them, and who has REAL conversations with them.  Who leads them and teaches them, who loves them and cherishes them.  Thank you.  He is amazing. 

In Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. hi I heard that movie was really good. Haven't seen it yet. My husband and I was going to watch it but he chickend out because he knew it would point out his flaws and make him emotion so we watched I don't know how she does it instead

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband thought it would do the same thing to him. And maybe it did. I don't know. I do know that watching it made me ever the more thankful for the man that he is and to have him in my life.

    ReplyDelete