Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A good one makes all the difference.

Last year, I had a daughter just start school. She was proud to be kindergartner. Her teacher was new to teaching. She was very nice. A lovely person. But at our conference in October, I was alarmed at what she had to say about my daughter.

My daughter was an introvert. She had little friends, and did not participate in group in work. She was shy. And she wasn't reading well, but the year just started. In short, my daughter was struggling. At Christmas I got a note home saying she was considered a non-reader. She was officially below grade level.

What were we going to do? As a mom, you want the best for your kids and it just breaks your heart when something like this happens.

At home we really stepped some things up in her reading. I made sure to praise her as much as possible for a job well done.

Her teacher and I talked. We both knew my daughter had some issues with speech, but as the year went it on, it did not improve. Her teacher noticed that because it was hard to understand her sometimes, her peers kept asking her "What did you say?" After a while, my daughter stopped participating in everything. Her self-esteem plummeted. She stopped trying.

Her teacher did everything she could to get my daughter into speech. Towards the later half of the year, she was finally excepted into it. As her speech improved and her confidence started to as well. She was starting to turn corners. =)

This year my daughter is a proud 1st grader. And proud she should be! She loves school!! She loves her teacher.

We just had a parent-teacher conference with her teacher. She works well with others, is social, and best of all.... is above grade level in everything! =)

Her teacher last year was pro-active in helping us do what needed to be done to help my child. She didn't just let her slip through the cracks. Her teacher this year is amazing as well, and really knows how to reach the kids. I credit them both with my daughter's turn around.


I just sat through 2 different parent-teacher conferences today. Each teacher had to be super organized. Each student had their own folders of work, testing scores, ect. These people aren't just responsible for teaching our children, but for documenting and recording everything about them as well. They have to do this for over 22 kids a day (in one teacher's case, over 60 kids a day). They have to plan, educate, document. They have to continue their education, have meeting, and grade papers. They have to have these conferences. They have to keep our children engaged. And somehow, find time to live their own lives. When do they find the time? There are days I have a hard time keeping up with my 3 kids. How do they keep up with 20+ kids a day, and do it so well, I don't know.

But I am thankful. I am thankful for these good teachers. Good teachers make all the difference. They have a heart for it, for the kids. It's not a paycheck. And no matter what anyone thinks, I don't think it's an easy job either. It's an extremely important job, educating our future. They are paid very little, in my opinion, for what they do. And yet, each year, there is a new crop of graduating students ready to start teaching. God bless them!

I am a firm believer in that a good teacher makes all the difference. And I am so thankful for the teachers my daughters have had. My youngest school age daughter went from being in danger academically and socially, to flourishing now.

My other daughter's teachers have always noticed her areas of advancement and have been able to push her harder and further. Therefore, she was not left to linger either or get bored. She has gotten, and is continuing to get pushed to her potential every day.

Nope. I don't know how they can keep up with so many kids. I wish parents would take a step back sometimes, and really think about what these educators go through on a daily basis. A good teacher is more valuable than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment