Thursday, October 9, 2014

That One Friend.....

There is this person in my life, and well.....  I guess I should start off by telling you about my friend.

This person is an encourager!  They have always encouraged me.  Every good thing in my life that went right, or if I had to fight my way through something, they were right there the entire time, cheering me on and telling me I could do it.  No matter how hard it was.  They never stopped believing in me, even when I did.  And that's no easy thing.

Every moment in my life when I failed or felt defeated, they were there.  Every time I didn't want to go on; they were there, telling me it was all going to be okay.  Even when it was the last thing I wanted to hear.  Again they would encouraged me.  They helped me find strength I didn't know I had, in so many different circumstances.  And sometimes, it was their strength, not mine, that carried me through.  I have to be honest about that.

When life devastated me and my heart hurt so bad it was hard to breathe, literally, they were there.  Every time.  I felt their arms around me, and felt comforted.  They brought me comfort.  They weren't able to fix it, make it better, or give me all my answers.  But they knew what I needed, and somehow, I made it through.  I still hurt, but I wasn't alone.  I still hurt, but I did make it through.  And even though I hurt, I could feel (and was thankful) for their comfort.

I do believe I have called on this person on just about every hour of the day at some point.  And you know what?  They never cared.  They listen, every time.  They comforted.  They encouraged.  And if I was absolutely in the wrong, they don't interrupt me.  They let me get it all out.  And after all the comfort and support and love they gave, they would gently guide me in the other direction.  Again no easy feat.

And me?  I have not always been a wonderful friend in return.  Sometimes life gets busy and days go by before we talk again.  And yes, there were times in my life where weeks passed, months passed.  Even years went by and we didn't talk.  They never pushed me.  But no matter what, they were always there when I came a calling again.  They never left me, even when I left them.  Loyal is not even close to describing this person.

And you know what?  There have been times this friend was there for me, and I turned on them.  I turned on them out of pain, hurt, confusion, anger, and many other reasons that are no good reason to turn on a friend.  And I am ashamed.  But they have been patient with me.  They forgave me.

This friend has loved me at my most unlovable moments.  This friend knows all my mistakes and doesn't care.  This friend has never once given up on me, even when there was a time I gave up on them.  And even when I gave up on myself.   

And so... this is to my That One Friend:

Thank you.  Thank you for always being there for me, even when I didn't think you were or didn't want you to be.  Thank you for never giving up on me.  Thank you for helping me get through this life, even when it hurts.   Thank you, Jesus, for being the best kind of friend a person could ever ask for.  I couldn't do life without you.  Thank you for helping to guide me.  Thank you for your comfort, encouragement, and strength.  Thank you, Jesus,  for showing me what true friendship and love is.  And for showing me the kind of person I want to be.   I am so proud and honored to call You my Friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment