Monday, June 13, 2016

PULSE

I am so ... ugh! I don't think there are words accurate enough to describe how I am feeling. Sad? Outraged? Angry? I just can't pick one. 
 
By now everyone has heard about the shooting at the night club called Pulse in Orlando, FL.  The last time I checked the press reported 50 people dead, and 53 wounded.  When I found out about the shooting, my heart sank.  Then I found out why the shooting took place, and my heart broke (terrorist hit targeting gays).

And as if this tragedy wasn't horrific enough, people decided to go online and start tweeting about it.  And it was ugly.  Click Here to see what I mean  I am sitting here blogging this because I have so many thoughts and emotions on this, and I need a way to unjumble the mess of thoughts and emotions going through me.

One of the thoughts flying around my mediocre brain is this:  Doesn't everyone know that it isn't just the gay community at the gay clubs?  Back in my clubbing days, straight people went to the gay club all the time.  It was a place to dance and not get hit on.  It was a place to enjoy your gay friends.  Just like how any club not deemed a "gay" club has gay people in it on any given night, the gay clubs also have a straight people in it.  Because so many people don't care about labels.  We judge people on their personalities and whether or not they are good people, instead of lifestyles, religion, or anything else you can discriminate against.  

But it goes deeper this.  The hate, the absolute abhorrent hate and lack of compassion make my blood boil, as if it is okay it kill people because they are gay.  What if someone who's religion decided that all blonds had to die, that they were instruments of the devil to seduce people?  Would that be okay?  Or what if someone decided Jewish people were a stain on the betterment of mankind and had to be killed?  Oh wait, that happened.  Or what if people decided that the color of your skin decided your place in society, and if you were not white, you were a lower class and had no rights, and could be killed just because you weren't white?  Oh, wait.  That happened in our history too. 
 
You see, there is no difference between the scenarios I listed and what happened at Pulse.  It's plain hate.  And what really gets in my crawl, is that some people don't even realize that.  They feel justified and hide behind religion.  You know, kinda the same way the shooter did.  In fact, this kind of religious "justification" makes those people no different than shooter.  

You don't have to agree with others to show kindness and compassion.

Since we are on to religion, I will say this:  The God that I worship did not rejoice in these killings.  He wept.  And he continues to weep at the lack of love and compassion humanity has.  
 
The shooting at Pulse gives us a very sad look into the pulse of humanity.   And I am troubled.  I am saddened.  I am enraged.  I am so many things.  

My heart goes out to all the victims of Pulse shooting and their families.  I pray they find some comfort in the days ahead.








No comments:

Post a Comment